Double Chocolate Bacon Waffles
From Scarborough Fair Bed and Breakfast
A unique recipe that combines salty and sweet for breakfast.
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3 1/2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 eggs separated, yolks beaten
2 ounces melted butter slightly cooled
1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
16 ounces buttermilk at room temperature
7 ounces chocolate chips
1 pound crisp bacon, crumbled
Cooking spray for waffle iron
Preheat waffle iron according to the manufacturer's directions.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, beat together egg yolks, butter, vanilla and then add buttermilk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir in the chocolate chips until just combined.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- In a third bowl beat egg whites until fluffy and they form soft peaks.
- Fold egg whites into the rest of the batter.
- Spray top and bottom surfaces of waffle iron with cooking spray.
- Ladle recommended amount of batter onto the center of the waffle iron.
- Evenly sprinkle a palm full of crumbled bacon over the batter.
- Close the iron and cook until both sides of the waffle are crispy and can easily be removed.
Serve immediately or keep warm in a 200 degree F oven.
Makes 6 to 8 waffles.